Pretoria – Pet owners have been warned by the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries to avoid certain pet food that may contain a toxin caused by a fungus in one of the ingredients.
At least 12 dogs are reported to have died after eating pellets which contained the toxin from three brands of dog food – Hi-Pro, Buddies and Legends which have factories in Brakpan and Roodepoort, according to certain media reports.
In a statement on Friday, the department said: “Pet owners are warned to be on the lookout for pet food that they serve their pets. Food that is mouldy or has a funny or off smell should not be given to pets, and those that suspect that their pets might already be affected must visit their nearest veterinarian.”
It said that affected animals may be listless and not want to eat as well as show signs of abdominal pain and vomiting.
A team of inspectors have been dispatched to collect samples of the certain pet food brands for laboratory analysis at Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute.
While awaiting laboratory results, the department is working in consultation with the Pet Food Industry and the affected companies to establish the source of the problem. – Nthambeleni Gabara, BuaNews
- Pet Food – Select the Right Food for Your Dog (mydogscooter.wordpress.com)
- Another Pet Food Recall – Pig Ear Dog Chews (petsblogsandiego.com)
- Pet foods and hygiene products can pose health risk to children (money.marksandspencer.com)