“Wardlow”, Parkville, Victoria Australia
Image by Rexness
Wardlow was built by CC Fewster in 1888 for John Boyes, owner of the Brunswick Iron Foundry. The architect is not known, but was possibly by the partnership of Twentyman & Askew, who three years later designed a warehouse for Boyes in Russell Street, contracting to the same builder, Fewster.
Wardlow was the substantial element of a larger development that began with 110 and 112 Park Drive and later included the adjoining houses at 33, 35, and 37 Degraves Street, finished in 1889. All the houses had cast iron decoration from Boyes’ Brunswick Foundry, and also share other details including tessellated pavements and decorative patterns etched into the exterior render.
Wardlow is in an excellent state of preservation because of successive ownership and occupation by several generations of the Boyes family until 1975. The exterior of the house and layout of the garden are virtually as they were in 1888. The side and rear courtyards were created in the 1990s.
The interior decorative scheme retains many elements. The drawing room and dining room retain their respective characteristic masculine and feminine schemes. The entrance hall, drawing room, dining room and parlour retain decorative wallpapers; gilded pelmets survive in the dining room and study; joinery and doors are wood grained in imitation of walnut, with gold stencilling. Original leadlight and coloured glass sidelights to the front door light the entrance hallway. The name Wardlow is etched in the ruby glass in the transom light over the front door. In the hallway the floor is partly laid with encaustic tessellated tiles, and original wall and ceiling paper and cornices enriched with plaster mouldings also survive. The drawing room has original silk and velvet curtains and an overmantel.
The service areas have been substantially modernised although a panel of seven servant bells, with associated cranks and wires, survive in the kitchen vestibule.
The first floor rooms were redecorated in the 1920s and 1930s, but retain some of their Venetian blinds. Original wallpapers identical to those in the main hallway survive in the first floor passageway. A new bathroom was installed in an upstairs bedroom in the 1990s.
(Source: Heritage Victoria)
"On a day focused upon world poverty, the cycles of disadvantage and wealth turned full circle at Melbourne’s biggest property auction yesterday.
About 400 inner-suburban property watchers turned out to see Wardlow, the Italianate Parkville mansion formerly occupied by the financially troubled couple Andrew Landeryou and Kimberley Kitching, sell at auction for .84 million.
The seller was Melbourne businessman Solomon Lew’s company Jordanlane. Mr Lew claims he is owed million by the now-separated couple as a result of a failed joint business venture."
(Source: "The Age" July 3 2005)