Pretoria – South Africans across the country on Monday extended their condolences to the family of SABC journalist Kgomotso Sebetso, who died on Monday morning, following a car crash on Sunday night.
Sebetso, 44, was taken to hospital in a serious condition after his car crashed into a truck. He had been visiting his mother in Ga-Rankuwa for Mother’s Day.
Media statements and his Facebook friends all described Sebetso – who was part of the SABC team that covers the Presidency and President Jacob Zuma – as an ever smiling, warm and humble spirit who was dedicated to his work.
In a statement, Zuma said he was in great shock over the tragic death of Sebetso who always conducted himself professionally.
“He took his task of imparting information and knowledge to South Africans and beyond very seriously. As the Presidency, we will miss his efficiency and his thoroughness; we will miss his affability as well as his dedication to his country and its people. We extend our deepest condolences to his family and his colleagues at the SABC,” read the statement.
The Government Communications and Information System (GCIS) also joined in sending condolences to the Sebetso family, friends and colleagues.
“Sebetso, a senior journalist and a role model to younger journalists, was a profoundly dignified man and a professional. He would be greatly missed and remembered for his dedication and commitment to his work,” GCIS CEO and Cabinet spokesperson Jimmy Manyi said.
Similar words were also used by the ANC who said the South African society had lost one of its most dedicated journalists.
Spokesperson Jackson Mthembu said Sebetso will be “remembered for upholding journalistic integrity and ethics during the many years he covered the country’s transition from apartheid to constitutional democracy.”
Social network Facebook was also a storm. “What a loss. Death has robbed us again, the giant, the son of the soil, the dedicated servant of our people, we will miss your positive contribution, rest in peace,” one user wrote. – BuaNews