Event Details for Greyton Trail, Yoga & Wellness Weekend:
- Date/s: - 29/03/2019 - 31/03/2019
- Times: 4:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Location: Greyton Eco Lodge
- City: Greyton, Cape Town
Scroll down to see map and to leave a comment.
Do you enjoy getting into the mountains and hitting the trails? Or some outdoor yoga? Or do you just want to escape from the city and reconnect with nature? If so, we’ve got something special for you!
The Greyton Trail, Yoga & Wellness Weekend comprises 3 trail runs (short and long options for each), 3 yoga sessions, intro talks on running and nutrition, superfood cooking demos, and an opportunity to explore other activities in and around Greyton – all at a price that won’t break the bank.
In addition to the activities, participants will also receive a generous goodie bags, and stand a chance to win spot prizes worth thousands of rands!
The Greyton EcoLodge (ecolodgegreyton.co.za) is a rustic getaway situated on the edge of a nature reserve in the foothills of the picturesque Riviersonderend Mountains. It provides basic accommodation in 6-bed dorm rooms, twin and double rooms, and offers camping. It’s the perfect place from which to explore the mountains and escape the rat race of the city.
It would hardly be a relaxing weekend if you had to worry about food! All meals and snacks are included. The menu, prepared by Chef Britney Varley and cookbook author Leozette Roode, will be full of healthy and nutritious, but decadent, options that will leave no-one feeling hungry! The focus will be on tasty, healthy, sustainable food options, and all food will be plant-based.
- Date: 29 – 31 March 2019
- Venue: Greyton Eco Lodge, Park Street, Greyton, Western Cape (Google maps: https://tinyurl.com/yd5hoedb)
- Tickets and price: From R1,440 (Early bird till 18 Feb, then tickets sell from R1800). See tickets and accommodation options: http://qkt.io/GXrzDz
What’s included: All activities are entirely optional
- Short (5-7km) and long (12-17km) trail run options (these are not races – they are set routes and an opportunity to get onto the trails with like-minded people. They will not be officially timed)
- Daily yoga sessions (more info to come)
- Guided Stargazing / Hiking / Farm Animal Sanctuary visit (own transport needed) / Donkey Sanctuary visit (own transport needed) / Greyton Farmers’ Market / Exploring Greyton and surrounds
- Superfood Smoothies
- Sauces to make dinners and lunches into superfood meals
- Simple Superfood Snacks
Talks and workshops:
- Basic nutrition tips for athletes
- Intro to trail running; equipment & other need-to-knows
- Pre- and post-run stretching
- Foam rolling and massage
- Building a basic training program
- Motivational talk
- Friday: Dinner
- Saturday: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks
- Sunday: Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks
We are Leo and Don; we’ve both been on different journeys that have led us to love exercise, healthy food and connecting with nature. We’ve created this weekend to include the things we love, and we want to see more of, but also to share some of the things we’ve learnt on our journey.
Leo has published a cookbook full of amazing plant-based dishes that show how tasty eating healthily can be! She has hosted cooking demos on shows like Afternoon Express and Pasella. Three years ago, she would battle to run 3km, and exercise was there entirely to ‘keep in shape’; now she loves running, with numerous half marathons (in great times) behind her name.
Don grew up in a family of runners, but as an adult he let the ‘rat race’ get the better of him, and at 30 he weighed 105kg and appeared to be glued to the couch. After a few lifestyle changes he got off the couch, and two years later he had lost 25kg and completed the Ironman Triathlon and The Comrades Marathon within two months of each other!
Neither of us are elite-level runners, or nutritionists, but we both understand the challenges faced by trying to stay healthy and active in the modern world. We’d love to hit the trails with you, get in some yoga, and create a space to share some of the things that have helped us on our journey.
Other important info:
- We will create a ride-sharing platform for those who might need transport to Greyton, but advise you bring your own car if you want to explore Greyton in depth.
- The accommodation at the lodge is quite basic – this is not a 5-star luxury retreat 😉
- Bedding in private rooms and dorm rooms is provided. The camping options require you to provide your own tent, mattress and bedding.
- There are no en-suite bathrooms (men and women do have separate facilities).
- The EcoLodge focuses on sustainability so we encourage consciousness regarding recycling, water conservation, no littering during runs, etc.
- In order to ensure the weekend is as relaxing as possible for everyone we are limiting it to over 16s only. Under 18’s allowed only with parent or legal guardian.
- A variety of non-alcoholic drinks will be provided. You are welcome to bring your own alcohol, but as this is a wellness weekend, please limit this to a couple of drinks per day at the most.