Johannesburg in the news:
- Gigaba's interest in SAA's JHB, Mumbai route under spotlight at inquiry: JOHANNESBURG – Former SAA CEO Sizakele Mzimela told the Zondo Commission of Inquiry into state capture that she found it strange that former … – Google Alert – Johannesburg
- SACP's Mapaila: Public Protector's office being used by rogue intelligence unit: JOHANNESBURG – The South African Communist Party (SACP) deputy general secretary Solly Mapaila on Wednesday said the Public Protector's … – Google Alert – Johannesburg
- Newtown murder video goes viral: JOHANNESBURG – Gauteng police are investigating a case of murder after a video of a man being shot dead went viral on social media. The video of … – Google Alert – Johannesburg
- Vegan restaurant owners challenge misnomers about plant-based diets: Johannesburg, South Africa — Many people associate African cuisine with meat, but at Hombaze Restaurant in Johannesburg, the traditional African … – Google Alert – Johannesburg
- Warrant of arrest issued for cop allegedly linked to two Westbury gangs: The Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg has issued a warrant of arrest for a police officer after he failed to appear in court on Wednesday. Warrant … – Google Alert – Johannesburg
Click here to submit your Johannesburg, Gauteng News – free.
Have you tried: Travelling to South Africa?
Did you know this about Johannesburg? A census was conducted in January 1896 recorded that Johannesburg then had 102 078 inhabitants, of whom 61 292 lived within the three mile radius of Market Square and 40 786 outside. There were 50 907 Europeans or Whites, 952 Malays, 4 807 Asiatics, 2 879 mixed or other races and 42 533 Natives of whom 14 195 lived within the three mile radius and 28 838 outside. Of the 24 489 Whites born in Europe, 12 389 were from England and Wales, 997 from Ireland and 2 879 from Scotland. Of the 24 500 Europeans born in Africa, 6 205 were born in the Transvaal and 15 162 in the Cape Colony. New suburbs included: Klipfontein, Forest Town, Hillbrow, Berea, Yeoville, Bellevue, Houghton, Vrededorp, Paarl’s Hoop, Robinson, Ophirton, La Rochelle, Rosettenville, Klipriviersberg, City & Suburban, Doornfontein, Bertrams, Lorentzville and Troyeville. It was also recorded that there was a Malay Camp, Brickfields, a Coolie Location and a Kafir Location. Kliptown is the oldest Black residential district of Johannesburg and was first laid out in 1891 on land which formed part of Klipspruit farm.
Read more on MyJHB.