Last year The Sharks came up short in Kimberley in their opening Absa Currie Cup fixture, but this time around they have built up momentum thanks to three good victories thus far.
GWK Griquas have also not enjoyed the best start to the season, winning their first game last weekend in Nelspruit against the Ford Pumas after a draw at DHL Newlands and a big defeat at Coca-Cola Park.
“We’re very happy with the result in Nelspruit, but obviously we wouldn’t have minded a better second half performance. Having said that, the victory gave us huge confidence,” said GWK Griquas coach Abré Minnie.
“But The Sharks will also come to Kimberley very confident – they’ve won three games and John Plumtree has opted to put his returning Boks on the bench. I think that’s a good move, as they have momentum and would like to keep it. The Sharks are definitely riding the crest of the wave at the moment.”
After GWK Park’s lights were fixed up for the FIFA World Cup last year, this will be the first Friday night Absa Currie Cup match in Kimberley in a few years.
“We’re certainly looking forward to it. Last Friday we saw a higher intensity in the Pumas game, almost as if the players had more energy. Hopefully we’ll play with the same vigour this week,” said Minnie.
Last year in Absa Currie Cup:
- 10 July: GWK Griquas won 40-34 in Kimberley
- 27 August: The Sharks won 48-30 in Durban
Your Weekend’s Rugby:
- 5 August: Valke vs EP Kings, kick-off at 15:00 at Barnard Stadium, Kempton Park. Referee – Andrew Lees (Australia)
- 5 August: Platinum Leopards vs Ford Pumas, kick-off at 19:00 at Profert Olën Park, Potchefstroom. Referee – Lourens vd Merwe
- 5 August: GWK Griquas vs The Sharks, kick-off at 19:10 at GWK Park, Kimberley. Referee – Pro Legoete
- 6 August: Tasol Solar Griffons vs SWD Eagles, kick-off at 15:00 at North West Stadium, Welkom. Referee – Jason Jaftha
- 6 August: Toyota Free State Cheetahs vs DHL Western Province, kick-off at 15:00 at Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein. Referee – Sindile Mayende
- 6 August: Vodacom Blue Bulls vs MTN Golden Lions, kick-off: 17:05 at Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria. Referee – Jaco Peyper
GWK Griquas vs The Sharks
- Your Weekend’s Rugby Fixtures (mycapetown.co.za)
- Platinum Leopards vs DHL Western Province (mycapetown.co.za)