This #Union Buildings tagged image is courtesy of Flickr. Click on the Flickr account holder below the photograph to see more.
Image by denisbin
Houghton and Inglewood.
A private town was created in 1841 on some land leased by John Richardson from Sir John Morphett. Richardson named his property Houghton Lodge and then he subdivided some of it into Houghton village. At the centre of his village he laid out an English style green. It was planted with English trees- Elms, Oaks etc. The first significant building in the town, which still stands, albeit in ruins, was the Union Chapel built around 1843. It was used as a Sunday School from 1849 and as the village school from 1847. The government school in Houghton was built in 1878. The village of the 1840s grew as it was a stopping point for coaches on their way to Gumeracha. The townsfolk were a God fearing bunch and soon opened denominational churches around the village green with the Wesleyan Methodists building higher up the road in 1866 and the Congregationalists building a couple of blocks lower in 1875. A new Congregational Church Hall was opened in 1902. One church is now a private residence and the other is the Uniting Church. The old Union Chapel is behind the Country Women’s Association rooms. The town soon had several commercial premises by the mid 1850s including a blacksmiths, general store, a drapery, Post Office, carpenters and undertakers and the Travellers Rest Hotel from 1842 which later became the Houghton Hotel. Few of these buildings remain today with some being destroyed in a 1956 bushfire which narrowly missed the historic Union Chapel. On Lower Hollow Road is a two-storey Georgian style house which remains as the grandest house in town. Bristol House was used as a residence and butcher shop and erected around 1845. The town’s cemetery on the way to Inglewood was established in 1871. A new road to Gumeracha in 1854 bypassed the town and stalled its development from that time onwards, but its loss was a gain for Inglewood.
Inglewood has changed little in over a century. It once had a Baptist church but that is now lost. Apart from a convenience store the pub is the focal point as it was in the 1850s. The hotel was built in solid local stone in 1857 and opened in 1858 with J Randall as the licensee. The hotel is made of pick faced stone with a double stone gable and perfect symmetry. From the road it is a single storey structure but from the rear you can see it is in fact a two-storey building. The building has altered little but it was restored in 1972 to ensure it survives for many more years. It was the stonemasons and builders of the hotel that suggested the name to the publican having it built in 1857. Inglewood was named after a village in Cumberland, England. The other historical structure in Inglewood is one not visible to motorists and that is the fine stone bridge that was erected across the creek here in 1863.The Para River meanders below the hotel to the north before we cross into the Torrens River valley at Chain of Ponds.