This #State Theatre tagged image is courtesy of Flickr. Click on the Flickr account holder below the photograph to see more.
Image by Onasill ~ Bill Badzo – 57 Million Views – Thank Yo
The Riviera Theatre listed on the National and New York State Register of Historic Places , the theatre is a historic, 1100 seat entertainment venue in North Tonawanda, New York.
A local landmark and movie house, the theatre was constructed in 1926 to much fanfare, and was originally named “The New Rivera.” The first films shown were Upstage starring Norma Shearer and The Mona Lisa. The Wurlitzer Theatre Organ installed in the theatre: Opus 1524 was shipped from the Rudolph Wurlitzer Factory on November 19, 1926. Listed as a Model 235 Special, the organ differed from a standard 3 manual 11 rank Model 235, by substituting an Oboe Horn rank of pipes from the standard Salicional pipes usually found on this model. Other differences included the omission of the standard remote Piano, and a 5 H.P. blower instead of the 7-1/2 H.P. The console was painted and decorated to harmonize with the theatre’s interior, by Wurlitzer’s Band Organ Artist. The theatre was also a popular vaudeville venue. During the Depression, the theatre was purchased by the Shea’s Theater company. At the end of the silent movie era in the 1930s, the Wurlitzer theatre organ went into disuse and disrepair and was not heard again until 1944, when it was refurbished. The Riviera was sold to Dipson Theatres and then to This article is about the theatre in North Tonawanda. For the theatre in Chicago, see Riviera Theatre.
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Riviera Theatre Auditorium