This #State Theatre tagged image is courtesy of Flickr. Click on the Flickr account holder below the photograph to see more.
Image by Onasill ~ Bill Badzo
Built as the Bijou Theatre in 1908, this former vaudeville palace added movies to its programming and by 1921 it had been renamed the Orpheum Theatre.
In 1930, C. Howard Crane was hired to gut and rebuild the interior of the theater which he did in an Art Deco/Mayan aesthetic. When it reopened under the W.S. Butterfield chain, the theater was renamed again as the Bay Theatre and it had 710 seats. By the 1950’s, the Bay was renamed again as the State Theatre and received a new marquee.
The theater was later saved by the Friends of the State and is currently owned by the Bay City Downtown Development Authority.
The theater’s new owners embarked on a massive renovation, with over million in funds raised for the project, it was completed by early 2006.
Article source: http://mypta.co.za/pretoria-image-state-theatre-bay-city-mi/