The results of the inaugural South African Craft Gin Awards, presented by Checkers LiquorShop, were announced at the Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel last night, acknowledging and celebrating the finest craft gins that our country has to offer.
Twenty-six locally distilled craft gins received the highest accolade of Double Gold awards from an entry of 110 gins from over 50 distilleries all over South Africa.
The Double Gold award-winning gins are:
• A Mari Atlantic Ocean and A Mari Indian Ocean gins
• Copper Republic African Dry and Copper Republic Rooibos & Grapefruit gins
• Die Dröe Rooinek Dry Gin
• Flowstone Bushwillow Gin
• Geometric Classic Cape Dry Gin
• Ginologist Spice Gin
• Harmony Aloe Ferox Gin
• Indlovu Gin – Elephant Dung Gin
• Jin Gin Olive & Honey and Jin Gin Tomato & Sweet Piquante Pepper gins
• Knut Hansen Dry Gin – a South African version of the German original
• Lieben Sailor Lemon & Lime Gin
• Magalies Lavender Gin
• Monks Medella Blueberry Infused and Monks Mary Jane Hemp Infused gins
• Nuy Legacy and Nuy Mastery gins
• Old N1 African Dry and Old N1 Fijnbos Fields gins
• Old Packhouse Moringa Gin
• Pienaar & Son Empire and Pienaar & Son Orient gins
• Smiths Elderflower Dry and Smiths Spiced Dry gins
• Wild Rose Fynbos Gin
The gins were blind tasted by an expert panel of judges with in-depth knowledge of the drinks industry:
• Roger Jorgensen – the father of South African gin
• Dr. Anna Trapido – wine and spirits judge and food anthropologist
• Thierry Lubala – mixologist at South Africa’s largest gin bar at Asara Estate
• Jean Buckham – owner of The Gin Box, a craft gin club showcasing different SA craft gins
• Hanneli van der Merwe – oenologist and co-owner of Barker & Quin Mixers
• Tammy Frazer – perfumer and owner of Frazer Parfum
The competition is the largest gin competition in the country and the only dedicated competition for craft gin distillers in South Africa.
Commenting on the awards, Roger Jorgensen said: “South African gin distillers are superb when they ace it as they develop their own style and techniques. Given the plethora of wonderful botanicals here it is no wonder that the Cape is the new Gin Capital of the world.”
On the future of the gin industry in South Africa he added: “The future is bright and SA can be a global player, it has only just begun. Gin has been around for a long time and due to its versatile nature will not disappear overnight.”
“Checkers LiquorShop is proud to partner with the inaugural SA Craft Gin Awards to highlight and celebrate South Africa’s diverse range of world-class gins,” said Jean Marais, Business Manager for Checkers LiquorShop.
CLICK HERE to submit your press release to MyPR.co.za.
Submit your own Press Release or get free content for your publication.
Video – How to post your Press Release on MyPR:
My Press Release (MyPR) provides free South African targeted content and press releases for on and off line publishers and media. Registering on MyPR enables public relations companies and practitioners to post articles under their own author name. Public Relations Companies and practitioners, event organisers, sports and political writers use MyPR as a distribution mechanism for their press releases, content, images and news. A forever free subscription allows publishers and media free access to all press releases, content and images on MyPR.
This press release is courtesy of MyPR.co.za and was automatically curated and published with WP Robot plugin – CLICK HERE to learn more about WP Robot for WordPress – a massive time and money saver.